This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thinking about working as a freelancer in 2021? Virtual job opportunities are plentiful this year as businesses realize they can save money and overhead by hiring employees remotely. Today, Natasha is sharing some of her best tips as a freelance writer/blogger.
Tips to start your freelancing career as a mom in 2021
The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation. —James E. Faust
Being a mother isn’t easy, it’s a job without any breaks, but it’s done with a smile because at the end of the day, our kids make everything worthwhile.
As mothers we aspire to set a good example in front of our children. Doing so is pertinent to building confidence within them. When kids see their parents as strong, independent beings, they aspire to be the same- so if you are a mom who wants to start her career from home then you should definitely read this article.
Related read: 47+ Work at Home Business Ideas You Can Start Today
Who are freelancers and why is freelancing a good career choice?
Freelancers are individuals who aren’t committed to a single employer, as they’re self-employed. They work with agencies, companies and other individuals on a per project basis and mostly work from cafes, commercial spaces or from the confines of their own home.
Choosing to become a freelancer comes with its own set of advantages which are –
- Become your own boss – Being a mom and a full time employee who can’t decide their own working hours can sometimes become unmanageable and difficult. When you choose to be a freelancer you are your own boss which means you choose your own working hours and moreover, you have complete monopoly over the number of projects you want to take on in a month.
- Keep the profits – When you are an employee, no matter how much effort you put into a project at the end of the month you are going to be paid the same salary and the profits will go to someone else. As opposed to that when you work as a freelancer you are self-employed which means the bigger the project, the more money you acquire.
- Fewer meetings and other office distractions – One of the disadvantages of working in an office setting is being required to attend office meetings which may run longer than expected- which can be difficult when you have a toddler who may require tending to in between meetings. When you are a freelancer, you choose your own working hours and can therefore plan your meetings at your own convenience.
- Flexibility – As a freelancer, you have the freedom to decide your clients, your working hours, the kind of projects which you want to work on, etc. As a freelancer you can be flexible with how much you want to work too. If you choose to work full time for 6 months and then take a break for the next 6 months then you can choose to do that.
- Work from home – This is a huge advantage for working mothers who don’t want to leave home and go to work every day. This also helps save working parents a great ton of money as they don’t have to worry about finding a daycare facility for their children especially when they have kids of more than one age group living in a house.
These are just some of the advantages of working as a freelancer.
Related read: Become a Freelance Writer
Tips on how to start your career as a freelancer as a mom –
Becoming a mother is just adding into your strength as a woman. If you are just starting out as a freelancer, then listed below are a few tips and tricks to help you get started –
- Determining your priorities and being honest with yourself – As parents your first priority should always be your children. The great thing about being a freelancer is that you can decide your own working hours which means that you can be available for your children as and when they need you.
- Taking things one day at a time – It can be difficult to become a full time parent as well as be a full time working individual. If things get very difficult to manage just take a break. You don’t have to be the superwoman- plus superwoman deserves rest too. The key to not stressing yourself is staying as organized as possible. Planning your day in advance will help reduce a lot of the stress.
- Break up your work- It’s important for working mothers to take breaks in between their work life and home life. Taking a short 15-20 minute break wherein you do things that bring you joy such as watching a show or practicing yoga will help increase productivity as you’ll be resuming work with a fresh mindset. Plan your work according to your child’s schedule. For example if you know that your kid requires your help with his homework then you can get started on your work before your kid wakes up so that you can be free to help him during the day.
- Work on your branding – You are the face of your brand and the more you work on building a good brand impression, the likelihood of you getting more work increases. So spend time on curating a good website, blog and social media presence. You can choose to build your own website if you know coding or you can simply hire another freelancer to build you a website. Keep your website simple, informative and something which is easy to navigate. Social media is a very important tool which shouldn’t be ignored by influencers too and make sure to keep a uniform look between your website and your social media handles.
- Creating a dedicated workspace – When working from home dedicating a proper functioning workstation can be difficult. When you have a workstation you are also creating a routine for yourself which will help. Also, it’s important to let your kids know to not disturb you unless there are emergencies during your working hours. Let your kids know that your workstation is off limits so you can keep your important documents in place where you know it won’t be misplaced or lost in the house. This will help maintain discipline around the house.
- Get help – Doing everything can be difficult and isn’t required. Seek help from family members and your children as well. There’s no shame in asking for help from the ones you love as it only increases your own strength as whatever you do is ultimately going to benefit your whole family. You can also hire help if possible to help reduce your stress. After the pandemic as things start opening up, set up playdates for your children so that you can Tet a few hours for yourself.
Related read: 6 Tips to Help You Set Up a Small Home Office
Being a working mom is all about the balance of things. What working moms often forget is taking care of their own physical and mental health, because if you are healthy only then will you be able to take care of your family. Both freelancing and parenting are things you want to do for a long time so create schedules which help create the balance of things.
Are you a freelancer? Are you considering becoming one? There are so many great options out there depending on your interests!